Allocation of sugar quantity for export under tariff rate quota, USDA
The Dollar Business Bureau
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) had announced a non-country specific tariff rate quota (TRQ) for exporters of refined sugar from World Trade Organization (WTO) countries.
Refined sugar of 1,82,000 metric tons raw value (MTRV) has been allocated for the US fiscal year of 2018, which begins on Oct 1, 2017 till September 30, 2018.
Of the 182000 MTRV of sugar, 22000 MTRV of sugar (which also includes 1656 MTRV of specialty sugar) and an additional 160000, TRV for specialty sugars.
Imports of organic and other specialty sugars are administered on a first-come-first serve basis in 5 tranches, as detailed below in the USTR report.
- On October 2, 2017, under the first tranche, 1656 MTRV of all types of specialty sugar will be taken in.
- On October 18, 2017, in the 2nd tranche, 48000 MTRV of organic and other specialty sugar not produced in US will be taken in.
- Jan 23, 2018, the 3rd tranche of 48000 MTRV of organic and other specialty sugar not produced in US will be imported
- April 17, 2018, 4th tranche of 32000 MTRV of organic and other specialty sugar not produced in US will be imported
- And finally July 17, 2018 the 5th and final trance of 32000 MTRV of organic and other specialty sugar will be imported.
The Indian Ministry of Commerce has advised all the Indian sugar exporters to reach out to US companies, who have an office in the US, to apply as soon as possible for a tariff rate quota. There is stiff competition among suppliers for specialty sugars leading to filling up of quota as soon as it is announced, the official communication of the Ministry of Commerce declared.