Trump Govt seeks 60 days to respond to H-4 visa case

The decision by Obama government was welcomed by the huge H-1B visa community.

The Dollar Business Bureau

The US administration under Donald Trump has asked for 60 days for responding to a case in court that challenges the previous Barack Obama Administration’s decision to allow the spouses of H1-B visa holders for working in the US.

Though the decision by the Obama government was welcomed by the huge community of H-1B visa holders which mainly comprises of Indians, various groups in the country challenged the decision in the federal court. “This is ‘especially concerning’ said Attorney General Jeff Sessions then reacting to the Obama government’s move. When he was a US Senator, he called the H-4 Rule a "change (in) immigration law in a way that hurts American workers,” Immigration Voice said in a statement on Tuesday.

On February 1 2017, an appeal had been filed by the Department of Justice with the US Court of Appeals for the D.C. (District of Columbia) Circuit under the title “Consent motion to hold proceedings in abeyance for 60 days.”

The Trump administration has asked for a pause of 60 days in the case so that his administration gets adequate time to look into the issues.

This rule has already allowed several H-4 visa holders, the ability to commence businesses in the US that hire American workers who otherwise would not have employment if the said Rule had not been circulated, it said.  

Immigration Voice also announced to intervene in the Save Jobs USA lawsuit opposing that it was the ‘only option’ for safeguarding the rights of its members, their families and the children who are the citizens of US. 

The Dollar Business Bureau - Mar 08, 2017 12:00 IST
 
TDB Top